The theme for International Women's Day 2022 is 'Break the Bias'. The Fair Trader believes in a world where gender equality is real. We want to work towards a world without bias and discrimination against women. Here are some things we can all do to help achieve equality and #breakthebias.
1. Call out gender bias, discrimination and stereotypes when you see it happening. To the wonderful men in our lives, we're calling on you to help us with this too.
2. Keep intersectionality in mind when fighting for gender equality. Listen to and learn from a diverse range of voices.
"When challenging the status quo in the fight for gender equality we must always consider that oppression based on race, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity, class and religion will compound the experience of gender inequality for the most marginalized in our society."
3. Celebrate diversity in our community, workplaces, schools and universities on International Women's Day and everyday. Create spaces where women can thrive.
4. Empower women globally through purchasing Fair Trade products. One of the 10 Principles of Fair Trade is Commitment to Non-Discrimination, Gender Equity and Women’s Economic Empowerment.
"Fair Trade is helping to challenge the gender gap, enabling women to stake their claim and succeed on their terms."
5. Cross your arms and share your photos on social media to show solidarity. Encourage your friends and family to do the same.